Did you know May is Pet Cancer Awareness Month
Here are the top 10 warning signs of cancer in cats and dogs, adapted from the American Veterinary Medical Association. If you notice any of these, contact your veterinarian to check things out as soon as possible. Depending on the cancer type and stage, your pet’s health can deteriorate very quickly, so it’s always best to get an exam. When in doubt, get it checked out.
Enlarged or changing lumps and bumps
Sores that do not heal
Chronic weight loss or weight gain
Change in appetite
A persistent cough
Persistent lameness or stiffness
Unpleasant odor from the mouth
Difficulty breathing, eating or swallowing
Difficulty urinating or defecating
Bleeding or discharge from any opening
Regular wellness exams will provide your veterinarian the opportunity to check for signs of cancer, but you can take a more proactive approach to your pet’s health by looking for these warning signs regularly.
Here are a few other fun May Celebrations!
National Pet Month
International Respect for Chickens Month
• May 3rd: National Specially-abled Pets Day
• May 5th: Mayday for Mutts
• May 5th through 11th: Be Kind to Animals Week
• May 11th: National Animal Disaster Preparedness Day
• May 14th: International Chihuahua Appreciation Day
• May 23rd: World Turtle Day
• May 30th: International Hug Your Cat Day